In today’s modern era, where desk jobs are so common, we are all surely aware of the negative impacts sitting all day at your desk can cause. It destroys a healthy lifestyle, increases your chances of developing health problems, but then again, it’s something we just have to do for a living.
Whether you have to sit all through the day, mess your wrist movement on the keyboard, or continuously stare at the monitor screen to ruin your eyes, office jobs come with much more dangers than you can imagine. The good news is that there are ways through which you can counteract the negative impacts that such a lifestyle can have on your life. All you have to do is carry out some desk exercises!
Types of Desk Exercises You Can Do
Our body has 200 bones, and over 600 muscles that play a major part in our well-being. Inappropriate body posture or no movement leads to weak bones, strained muscles, and eventually serious health injuries. This is why it is essential that you squeeze out some time, exercise and stretch your muscles to lead you towards a healthy lifestyle.
When talking about desk exercises, it doesn’t mean that you have to carry out difficult or painful exercises. You can:
- Take a 2 minutes break and simply walk around the hallway or within your office.
- Perform simple leg and shoulder stretches for a few minutes.
- While you remain seated on your chair, you can extend your legs until they level up to your hips. Continue this posture for a few minutes then relax it.
- Stretch your wrists lift them up in the air and give them a few stretches with your palm, or you could make fists, bend or spread your fingers.
Such exercises are easy to perform by any individual even while they remain at their desks. They take only a minute or two and fit in-between office tasks easily. They also provide health benefits for a long-term and promote productivity as well.
Avoiding Desk Exercises Could Lead To Health Problems
On average, it is an estimate that we remain on our workstations for over 15 hours and sometimes even more. Definitely, this has different kinds of physiological effects on our body. Here’s what happens to your body when you work for long hours non-stop on your office chairs.
- When our body muscles remain stationary, the circulation of blood decreases, our muscles become inactive and it can become very difficult for you to use the computer any longer.
- Sitting in wrong postures and stationary for hours long causes medical conditions like CTD (Cumulative Trauma Disorder), eye problems like CVS (Computer Vision Syndrome), and RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury).
- Recent studies show that people can develop the dangers of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), a health problem that leads to the formation of blood clots in veins, especially in legs.
It is highly recommended that every individual who has an office job should make sometime for stretching his or her body through desk exercises. A healthy lifestyle is only possible if you pay extra care to the well-being of your body.